Friday, March 11, 2011

Breaking Up

This post will have more words than pictures...just forewarning you.

Last night a very close friend of mine was robbed and attacked outside of her apartment in Detroit. I feel powerless and cant help but be angry at everything. I cant even imagine how she feels. This occurrence triggered my personal reflection on my lovetohate relationship with this city.

Last year I blindly followed my roommates to our new apartment about 20 minutes outside the city. During the moving process I remember being HAPPY to leave. Within the past few months however I have MISSED being in Detroit and have even been looking into purchasing a loft downtown. This recent incident reminded me why I was once excited to leave and live elsewhere.

Over the past 1/2 year I have enjoyed jogging at dusk without worry. I can ride bikes with friends without looking over my shoulder. When I walk outside it is not a given that Ill be hassled. Oh the comforts and normalcies of "the burbs".

However, during this break from the city, like any fucked up relationship, I started missing it and wanted to go back.

Im sick to death of hearing the cliche "it happens everywhere, in every city, you just have to be careful, know your surroundings.."

Spare me.

I am so back and forth with this relationship. As of now, were in a HUGE fight, but by Sunday we'll be having make-up sex.

For all of you out there "saving this city", I applaud you. It needs all the helping hands it can get. And I cant help but think these saviors have a similar relationship with the city that I do. Its infuriating, but you keep coming back to it.

Photobucket

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello dear friend. I honestly do really like your illustration. I just want you to remember that it is because of the fact that evil things happen that we need to be strong and fight back to make this a safer world, a safer city. Art heals.

Noelle said...

I like this a lot! Awesome work:)